IDEALS OF PI GAMMA MU
There are seven ideals of Pi Gamma Mu. Do you know them?
- Scholarship – it is basic to all the rest. With knowledge, we can build society and better understand humanity and what has been
thought and said and tried in all generations.
- Science – we need and admire the spirit of science – the firm belief that the problems that confront humanity can be solved if we
will search out the facts and think clearly on the basis of those facts.
- Social Science – we shall never understand or solve the problems of human association until we examine the souls of people, the
passions, prejudices, hopes and fears.
- Social Idealism – we believe in a human society fit for human life that humans themselves can build. “Where there is no vision the
people perish.” We will not give up our vision.
- Sociability – specialization makes us narrow. Our social problems are complex. They will never be solved without the cooperation
of all the social sciences and of those who study them.
- Social Service – the primary purpose of science is to know and to enable us to do. What we know, we want to put to work for the
benefit of humanity.
- Sacrifice – we are engaged in the greatest and finest of all the arts, the building of human society. Without giving freely, fully, and
sacrificially of means, time, talent, energy and passion, all our other ideals will fall short and the contributions we hope to bring
will never come.